Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Summer School 2009

JT finished 2 weeks of summer school in a kindergarten nearby which is the same one that I am switching him to beginning this coming school year. I can tell he likes this school as he came home happy each day over the last 2 weeks.

Based on the notes from the school, I knew that JT learned many new words related to the ocean. He was excited when the teachers/helpers talked about sharks and other sea creatures as he loved them. JT painted the below in class and brought it home to tell me that he drew many fishes and he picked the whale and shark stamps to put them on his painting. He also drew a cage behind them in where a diver could stay to watch the shark and the whale. He even put some seaweeds in his painting.



I haven't seen JT drew such an original painting for a while. The paintings that I have seen from his painting class at his former school were very different. Each student's work looked at least 85% alike. The below is another one that I liked very much. His choice of colors tells me that he was allowed to choose his favorite colors and not given certain colors to play with.


Besides art, this school also exposes the children to science, music, English learning and physical education (PE class). I was amazed that the teacher dissected a fish to show the children during one of the science classes.

JT surprised me by how much he has learned. A few days ago, I captured a baby spider and put it a small plastic bottle to show him, thinking he may be interested. When I showed him and asked him if he knew what it was, he said, 'Yes, mom. It's a spider! I have seen it in the science class.'

Overall, I am very pleased to have put him in this school.

No comments:

Post a Comment